Change section flags in linker script

Dobes bdobry@udel.edu
Thu Nov 5 23:55:00 GMT 2009

I need to make the text sections in my elf file look like data. Currently, I
am doing this using objcopy and the "--set-section-flags" flag.  Since my
executable has many such text sections that I need to make look like data, I
end up having way too many of these flags to pass and it gets ugly, plus it
would be nice to not have to take this extra step of calling objcopy.  I
would prefer to modify this flag via the linker script, but I cannot figure
out how to do this.  To clarify, here is an example of what I start with
(from objdump -h):

 29 .text     00008fe8  a0002010  a0002010  0000132d  2**3
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE

And this is what I want to end up with:

 29 .text     00008fe8  a0002010  a0002010  0000132d  2**3
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, DATA