Getting asm macros expanded

Philipp Marek philipp@marek.priv.at
Wed Mar 18 17:35:00 GMT 2009

Hello Nick,

thank you for your answer.

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 Nick Clifton wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to get inbetween the assembler macro processor
> > and the assembler: I'd like to get the assembler sources mostly as-is,
> > but with the macros used therein already expanded.
>
> The short answer is "no".  Using "as -am" has already been suggested and
> this is as close as your are going to get.  Unless you take the
> assembler sources and use them to create your own
> assembler-pre-processor tool.
Well, not now, but maybe someone will provide an option for some program being
installed as pipe in there.

> This does beg the question however of "why do you want to do this" ?  Ie
> why do you need to intercept the expanded macros before they are
> assembled ?  It seems likely to me that there may be another way to
> solve whatever problem you face.
That's for a script that translates (substitutes) ASM sequences for some
other.

The prototype's already working; I'm currently getting the code in shape for
the public release ;-), which will be at the (currently nearly empty) project
page at
	http://developer.berlios.de/projects/redremover/

Some background information is available at
	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2009-02/msg00497.html

If you're interested, I'd like to give you commit access at berlios ... I'd
much prefer that, instead of having to handle patches manually.

Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!