Shared library mapped to different parts of the address space

Rodrigo Dominguez roddomi@hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:35:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am reading about position independent code (PIC). PIC is used mainly in
shared libraries because they can be mapped to different parts of the
address space in different processes. I am trying to trigger this behavior
(to have a shared library that is mapped to different addresses in two
different processes). To find out the actual mapping of the library I am
using 'cat proc/<id>/maps'. However, I haven't been able to see this
behavior. Does anybody have an example of how to trigger it? I am running
this experiment on an x86-linux machine.

Thank you,

Rodrigo