GAS Relocation and Relaxation of 24-bit Address

Mark P Anderson manders1@csc.com
Wed Dec 12 18:11:00 GMT 2007

I'm working on a gas port for a machine that has variable length
instructions that are multiples of 1 byte (8-bits).  The address,
both PC relative and absolute, can be 8-bits, 16-bits or 24-bits
in length that reside in bytes past the opcode bytes.

>From looking at the bfd.c code it seems like addresses have to
be either 16-bits or 32-bits when reading or writing to the bfd.
Am I reading the code right?  Am I going to have a big problem
trying to read and write 24-bit addresses?  Am I going to have
problems with variable length, byte-oriented instruction encoding?