Fix for unexpected failure in ld-cris/warn3

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Tue Mar 8 17:18:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > I don't know how to proceed here except to leave it, as it works
> > for me.  Can you repeat the test?
>
> Yes and the failure is still there.
>
> It occurred to me that the discrepancy might be due to the fact that I
> am using a different version of gcc.

That could be it.

>  I am using the GNUPro version that
> RedHat ships to various paying customers which is based on gcc 3.4
> rather than the gcc 3.2.3 version which is the system default for RHEL3.
>   Unfortunately I tried reverting to the system compiler and the failure
> still happened.

Sorry, but are you *sure* that the other compiler was actually
used?

I also tried an ia64-unknown-linux-gnu (spe177.testdrive.hp.com)
no problems there either.  Because I don't see the failure on
*any* system I've tested I can only conclude that there's
something wrong with the system you tested on, or that
something's brittle enough that some other difference mattered
(like, a weak qsort ordering function in binutils coupled with
the brittleness of the warning construct.  Or some uninitialized
variable problem.)

> Where is the stabs warning message generated anyway ?  ie which
> functions in bfd and/or ld are responsible for detecting the stab
> message and printing it out ?

Um, I forgot.  See the patches I sent some time ago, maybe. :-)
IIRC the a.out stuff in bfd just passes on the symbol with
BSF_WARNING and lets the generic stuff generate the warning.

brgds, H-P