How to build windres to run on OS X

Wenlin Institute wenlin@wenlin.com
Sat Jun 18 18:45:00 GMT 2005


Could anyone please explain how to build windres to run on OS X (or  
Darwin)? I downloaded and installed binutils-2.16.1, which includes  
windres.c, but windres is still not built or installed. The docs for  
windres say:

"Warning: windres is not always built as part of the binary utilities,  
since it is only useful for Windows targets."

What I'm trying to do is cross-compile the MS-Windows version of an  
application, using a Macintosh. I've followed the instructions for  
"Installing and Using the MinGW Cross-Compiler on Mac OS X" using  
DarwinPorts

(URL:  
http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/win32/ 
MinGW.20041207231336.1583.sulu.html).

It all seems fine except for no windres. I hope it's as simple as  
adding an option to the "configure" script for binutils, but it's  
awfully complicated; for example, I don't know what's going on in this  
line:

	if eval "test \"`echo '$''{'ac_cv_prog_WINDRES'+set}'`\" = set"; then

Below that is this line:

	ac_cv_prog_WINDRES="$WINDRES" # Let the user override the test.

That "override" comment looks promising, if only I knew what it meant.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best wishes,

Tom Bishop

文林 Wenlin Institute, Inc.        Software for Learning Chinese
E-mail: wenlin@wenlin.com     Web: http://www.wenlin.com
Telephone: 1-877-4-WENLIN (1-877-493-6546)
☯



More information about the Binutils mailing list