Large data sections support
Jan Hubicka
jh@suse.cz
Mon Jun 13 07:56:00 GMT 2005
> >>>> Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz> 13.06.05 09:29:09 >>>
> >> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 01:22:00AM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> >> > Yeah :( If lcomm/large_comm really looks superrior I can try work on
> >> > this but I would preffer the easier route here...
> >>
> >> I think we do need something to mark these symbols specially.
> >> Something pretty much exactly like SHN_PARISC_HUGE_COMMON sounds
> >> like it means.
> >
> >I might propose the ABI change here, but will this work when we mix
> >small and medium model units where symbols will get conflicting flags?
> >(ie we want library compiled for medium model to link with small model
> >program as long as overall the binary is small enought to fit small
> >model limitations).
>
> As always, you'd have to enforce the more restrictive storage (that is, the object would have to go into .bss rather than .lbss if at least one declaration uses SHN_COMMON).
I was sort of wondering what kind of advantage it would buy us avoiding
linker to decide it for us when the meaning of flag is not definite, but
I guess it would avoid us for requiring to tell linker whether we are
building small or medium model binary. So I guess I will just follow
PARISC implementation and propose the ABI change here...
Honza
>
> Jan
>
More information about the Binutils
mailing list