Branches in CVS repository?

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 16:02:00 GMT 2005

Hi Mark,

>> We could, if you can convince me that it is unneeded.  At the moment I
>> still think that it is useful.

> But if it's not useful to someone else, and they're already operating in
> a separate tag namespace, why is it important to you?

Presumably you mean "a separate tag namespace when creating branches for
other projects" ?

The reason I think that it is important is that I think that we ought to
  have a documented and useful naming scheme for branches created in
connection with the binutils project.  In my opinion having that date of
the branch creating be part of the name of the branch is useful and that
is why I am suggesting it.  If however nobody else feels that way then I
  not going to insist upon them.  The date can always be discovered by
trawling the logs.

> It's not that I can't add a date on the end of every branch; it's just
> that I don't particularly want to, and I don't see how that helps the
> broader community.

Fair enough - if I am the only one who thinks that these dates would be
helpful then I am not going to insist on them.

> (What I would imagine helpful is requiring people to
> document the branches they've created.)

Agreed.