objdump always displays LSbytes first irrespective of endianess of target

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Wed Jan 14 13:48:00 GMT 2004

Shekhar Divekar <shekhar@cradle.com> writes:

> I am working on a port of binutils with LITTLE ENDIAN target.
> In the dump I would like to see MSByte first as it is natural for
> little endian m/c. But objdump always displays LSbytes first
> irrespective of endianess of target. On further investigation I found
> out that this is because in objdump.c:disassemble_bytes 'bpc' is always
> initialized to 1, which results in check for 'display_endian' while
> producing the dump, useless.

What sources are you using?  In the current sources, bpc is controlled
by info->bytes_per_chunk, and the disassembler is expected to set that
appropriately.

For example, a typical RISC target for which all instructions are 4
bytes would set info->bytes_per_chunk to 4 in the disassembler.  See,
e.g., opcodes/mips-dis.c.

Ian