Add new ISA to the binutils!

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Mon Apr 5 15:10:00 GMT 2004


libra <mr924352@cs.nthu.edu.tw> writes:

> I am a little confused about disassembler.
> 
> Why i must implement it?

Well, it's not like it's the law.  However, the disassembler is used
by objdump -d and by gdb.  Most people find those programs to be
useful.

> I found some files (ex:like ld/emulparams/armelf.sh ld/emultempl/armelf.em) in 
> the ld directory.
> 
> I think that i must also add new files like above for my new ISA in the ld 
> directory,is that right?

Correct.  For almost all targets you need only the emulparams file,
not the emultempl file.  ARM ELF is an exception as the ARM ELF linker
needs to do some special operations to support interworking.

> My idea is that because the linker(ld) is the part of the GNU toolchains,i 
> must implement a new linker for my new ISA.

Yes, if you want people to be able to build programs using the GNU
toolchain, you must make the GNU linker work.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list