problem to link my application, ld crashes

Michel Chen chen@cae.com
Sun Apr 4 22:14:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am having a problem to link my application on RHEL3.

My version of binutils is 2.14.90.

When i tried to link my app., ld crashes.  Here the result of GDB:

(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
0x40059b01 in bfd_elf32_bfd_link_add_symbols () from
/usr/lib/libbfd-2.14.90.0.4.so
(gdb) where
#0  0x40059b01 in bfd_elf32_bfd_link_add_symbols ()
   from /usr/lib/libbfd-2.14.90.0.4.so
#1  0x080518ca in ?? ()
#2  0x080aa3f0 in ?? ()
#3  0x0808fa00 in optind ()
#4  0xbfffa0a8 in ?? ()
#5  0x080490c2 in ?? ()
#6  0x400994e0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libbfd-2.14.90.0.4.so
(gdb)

I have impression that the problem is coming from a object file created by
doing "ld -r test.ld -o test.o".

And the test.ld is :

SECTIONS {
xrftest_    = 0x70000000 ;
xrftest1_   = 0x70001000 ;
xrftest2_   = 0x700de000 ;
xrftest3_   = 0x70370000 ;
xrftest4_   = 0x74165000 ;
xrftest5_   = 0x7425c000 ;
xrftest6_   = 0x74269000 ;
xrftest7_   = 0x74e61000 ;
}

I have been working on this problem since few days, I really need your
helps.

I like to know if it is my SECTIONS command is wrong or is the linker does
not like absolute symbols?

Do you have any suggestions?

thanks,

Michel Chen Ing.
Military Virtual Environment Development
CAE Inc. - Military Simulation & Training
Téléphone (514) 341-2000 ext: 3952
Email: michel.chen@cae.com