C programs introspection using binutils/gdb

Ben Elliston bje@au.ibm.com
Fri Apr 2 01:04:00 GMT 2004

Alexandre Courbot <Alexandre.Courbot@lifl.fr> writes:

> I wonder however if this is the best solution for that purpose, and
> if I haven't overestimated gdb scripting capabilities in that
> respect. Or maybe there is another tool that allows similar results
> (I've thought of gprof but it seems much less controllable than
> gdb). I'd also be interested in hearing people who attempted similar
> experiences (can't find anything similar after a good google
> search).

You might consider running your program under a simulator.  SID, for
instance, is capable of logging simulated time and accesses to memory,
which you can then post-process.  See http://sources.redhat.com/sid/.

Ben