--stack in ld? (and gcc's --fstack-check?)

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Thu Mar 6 19:34:00 GMT 2003


Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> writes:

> I'm trying to use --fstack-check in gcc, and from what I can tell,
> programs compiled with --fstack-check generate a signal when
> they try to extend the stack.   Soooo, I read the ld man page,
> and found a nifty --stack option to set both the reserved and
> the committed stack size.  That should allow me to control
> the size of the stack beyond which I get a signal.
> 
> Only my ld doesn't seem to recognize --stack.  The version I'm using is
> GNU ld version 2.13.90.0.2 20020802
> (the one that comes with red hat 8).
> 
> Is --stack obsolete?

If you look more closely, you'll see that --stack is documented in a
section entitled ``options specific to i386 PE targets.''  That is, it
is only supported on Windows.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list