--stack in ld? (and gcc's --fstack-check?)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Mar 6 17:38:00 GMT 2003

I'm trying to use --fstack-check in gcc, and from what I can tell,
programs compiled with --fstack-check generate a signal when
they try to extend the stack.   Soooo, I read the ld man page,
and found a nifty --stack option to set both the reserved and
the committed stack size.  That should allow me to control
the size of the stack beyond which I get a signal.

Only my ld doesn't seem to recognize --stack.  The version I'm using is
GNU ld version 2.13.90.0.2 20020802
(the one that comes with red hat 8).

Is --stack obsolete?
- Dan