elfxx-ia64.c question

David Mosberger davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com
Sat Jan 25 02:07:00 GMT 2003

  HJ> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:13:38PM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:
  >>  Yes, here is why I ran into it: I would like to use @secrel() in
  >> the linux kernel to build the exception tables.  We used to use
  >> @gprel() entries for this purpose, but that doesn't work with the
  >> latest kernel setup anymore (and wasn't a good idea anyhow).
  >> Alpha Linux uses the "label-." construct to build pc-relative
  >> entries that fit in 32 bits; in principle, this would work on
  >> ia64, too, except that there seems to be a gas bug that prevents
  >> this from working.  With @secrel() I can

  HJ> One ia64 pc-relative bug was fixed on Dec. 18. Do you have the
  HJ> recent binutils?

Man, you rock!

No, I hadn't tried anything that recent.  I did now and it does indeed
fix the problem.  Cool.

OK, perhaps I justs need to bite the bullet and force people to
upgrade to a bleeding-edge assembler.  On the positive side, it'll
let me remove some backwards-compatibility stuff that won't be
needed anymore.

Thanks,

	--david