RFC/RFT: split up pexecute.c

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Wed Jan 22 22:32:00 GMT 2003

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> 1. These file names are no 8.3 compatible.  To be usable on all DJGPP
>    systems, names must be unique within the first 8 characters of the
>    basename.  Perhaps "pex-<system>.c" would be ok?

Sure.  I will make this change.

> 2. I would rather have configure choose the appropriate files to
>    include in the build, than to have one .c file include another .c
>    file.  I know this is a little more work, but some debug formats
>    don't like executable code in #included files.

I wanted to do this originally but I wasn't sure which system names
corresponded to which predefined macros.  So I did it this way to be
sure that nothing broke.  If you can help me figure out which names
belong with which implementations I'll be happy to make this change.
This is what I can deduce from poking through config.guess:

          *-*-cygwin*        cygwin
          *-*-mingw*         win32
          *-*-winnt*         win32
          *-*-msdosdjgpp*    djgpp
          *-*-msdos*         msdos

          ???                os2
          ???                mpw

          *                  unix  # incl. UWIN, VMS

The only OS/2 entry in config.guess is *-pc-os2-emx, which is
described as a Unix compatibility layer, so I don't know which
version is appropriate for that.  There is no mention of MPW at all.

zw