RFC/RFT: split up pexecute.c

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 18:29:00 GMT 2003

> It simply breaks up pexecute.c into seven variant files: cygwin,
> djgpp, mpw, msdos, os2, unix, win32.  pexecute.c just #includes
> whichever one is relevant.

I have no fundamental issue with breaking this file up, but I do have
two concerns:

>         * pexecute.c: Split up; meat moved to...
>         * pexecute-cygwin.c, pexecute-djgpp.c, pexecute-mpw.c,
>         pexecute-msdos.c, pexecute-os2.c, pexecute-unix.c,
>         pexecute-win32.c: ... these new files.

1. These file names are no 8.3 compatible.  To be usable on all DJGPP
   systems, names must be unique within the first 8 characters of the
   basename.  Perhaps "pex-<system>.c" would be ok?

2. I would rather have configure choose the appropriate files to
   include in the build, than to have one .c file include another .c
   file.  I know this is a little more work, but some debug formats
   don't like executable code in #included files.