mips elf n32 and 64 linker emulparams refactoring

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 12:10:00 GMT 2002

On Oct 18, 2002, Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

>> +LIB_PATH=/usr/lib32

> How will this work in a cross-compile environment?

It won't.  Typically, the compiler overrides these anyway.  This is
just meant to overrides the /usr/lib used by default, when the linker
is invoked directly.

>> +. ${srcdir}/emulparams/elf32bmipn32-defs.sh

> Sidemark: Especially in this context elf32bmipn32-defs.sh is a
> really weird name.

Agreed, but note that this was just moved from both of the elf64*.sh
files.

>> +ELFSIZE=64
>> +LIB_PATH=/usr/lib64

> Same cross-compile problem here. Formerly it was only set for IRIX,
> now a cross-ld on e.g. i386-linux will look in the wrong place.

Formerly a cross from i386-linux-gnu to mips-sgi-irix6 would have the
same problem.  If it wasn't a problem for irix, why would it be a
problem for mips-linux-gnu?

Yeah, I agree it's not ideal, but I think it's an improvement over
what was there.  The only negative effect of this change is that a
cross compiler may now look for libraries in a location where it won't
find libraries for the target system.  It will do so after searching
any directories listed in the command line, so it would have failed
one way or the other.