Who maintains or makes fixes for ld for AIX?

Geoff Keating geoffk@geoffk.org
Mon Oct 29 12:43:00 GMT 2001

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:46:55 -0500
> From: Kevin Heatwole <kdh@ocsystems.com>
>
> I'm fairly new to the GCC scene, but I have a task to make a
> cross-compiler hosted on LinuxPPC and targeting AIX.
>
> I'm running into some bugs that I have yet to track down, but appear to
> be in either GAS or ld as it deals with entries in the TOC.  For some
> reason, there are some entries that should just be 32-bit addresses in
> the TOC and the image ends up with extra an 32-bit zero in between some
> entries (almost as if the code thinks an address is 64-bit in some
> instances, but I am dealing with all 32-bit addresses).  The resulting
> a.out doesn't run and the TOC offsets are really garbage (almost as if
> the linker thought it had located all 32-bit addresses, but had left
> unintended gaps in some of them and didn't figure in the gaps in its
> offset calculations).
>
> Anyway, I'd like to exchange a little email with whomever is maintaining
> ld and as as a cross to AIX.  I'm willing to fix the problems but I
> don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I don't believe anyone has yet tried using these tools in a _cross_ to
AIX.  They were developed for use natively on the machine.  However,
I can't think of any fundamental reason why they shouldn't work, so
it's probably just bugs, not completely missing features.

A good person to ask is Tom Rix, <trix@redhat.com>.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>