Who maintains or makes fixes for ld for AIX?

Kevin Heatwole kdh@ocsystems.com
Mon Oct 29 09:48:00 GMT 2001

I'm fairly new to the GCC scene, but I have a task to make a
cross-compiler hosted on LinuxPPC and targeting AIX.

I'm running into some bugs that I have yet to track down, but appear to
be in either GAS or ld as it deals with entries in the TOC.  For some
reason, there are some entries that should just be 32-bit addresses in
the TOC and the image ends up with extra an 32-bit zero in between some
entries (almost as if the code thinks an address is 64-bit in some
instances, but I am dealing with all 32-bit addresses).  The resulting
a.out doesn't run and the TOC offsets are really garbage (almost as if
the linker thought it had located all 32-bit addresses, but had left
unintended gaps in some of them and didn't figure in the gaps in its
offset calculations).

Anyway, I'd like to exchange a little email with whomever is maintaining
ld and as as a cross to AIX.  I'm willing to fix the problems but I
don't want to reinvent the wheel.

One possibility is that I'm using a snapshot build of binutils (the
released builds just didn't work hardly at all), so maybe I need to step
up to a new snapshot.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there that knows this stuff, I'd
appreciate a contact.

Thanks,

Kevin