Binutuls is broken now.

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Tue Jun 19 07:43:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:22:24AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > > Given what we know, if my patch is not acceptable to everyone, may I
> > > suggest we revert the patch:
> > >
> > > 2001-06-15  Hans-Peter Nilsson  <hp@axis.com>
> > >
> > >         * ldlang.c (lang_check): Emit fatal error if relocatable link
> > >         between different object flavours.
> > >
> > > We can find some better ways to deal with it later.
> >
> > I disagree.  That would *again* SEGV as I described when the
> > patch was submitted.  I think your follow-up-patch would be much
> > better.
>
> In general, if a patch is checked in that causes problems, the *first*
> thing you do is revert the patch.  Then, after reviewing the problem
> and coming up with a solution that works better, you check in the new
> patch - which may include all or parts of the old patch.
>
> Especially true in this case, where the patch does not fix any broken
> functionality, but does break previously working functionality.
>
> This is the only way to stop the code from growing worse and worse
> with time.

I took the liberty to revert the change. Hans-Peter, you can submit
another one and see if it is acceptable to everyone. Ian has made the
suggesttion to allow any files without relocations. I think it is
a good idea.

Thanks.

H.J.
---
2001-06-19  H.J. Lu <hjl@gnu.org>

	* ldlang.c (lang_check): Revert the change mode on 2001-06-15.