Performance problem with gas

Kai Schuetz ks@axys.de
Mon Feb 12 06:39:00 GMT 2001

Hi everybody !

I've got the following problem: we've regulatry compiling some large
functions containing a big, generated switch construct. When it comes to
assembling it it takes a lot of time (5, even 10 minutes). I did a
profiling or gas an saw that the function "is_dnrange" eats up 99.55% of
all time.

It's called from relax_frag where I read the comment "There should be a
faster way to do this.".

How difficult would it be to speed this up ?

I don't know to much about gas but is seem that the frag data structure
is very basic for the whole assembler, so changing it might have the
consequence of changing a whole lot of code ?

Is the slowdown I'm experiencing just a rare case or would enhancing
this speed up the whole assembler ?

--
Best regards,
 |/
 |\ai
Kai T. Schütz                   Main:   +49-2407-916 810
Software Design Engineer        Fax:    +49-2407-964 45
AXYS GmbH                       Direct: +49-2407-916 815
Kaiserstr. 100, TPH III C
52134 Herzogenrath, Germany     Email:  ks@axys.de
http://www.axysdesign.com