binutils development (was Re: Problems building binutils-000220 snapshot)

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Tue Feb 22 07:31:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:48:40PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Alan Modra wrote:
>
> > In other words, you can treat H.J's releases as a sourceware snapshot,
> > with maybe one or two fixes, that has been checked to work on Linux.  I
> > try to ensure that H.J's patches find their way into sourceware, and also
> > notify H.J. if I find and fix a flaw that warrants a new release from him.
> > This hasn't always been so.  Earlier on, H.J's releases diverged rather
> > more, often containing a large number of fixes and new features.
>
> I have to retract this statement after looking over H.J's current release.
> There's more than just one or two fixes.  Some nice features added too:
> --demangler and --style options for various binutils, and --redefine-sym

Just for the record,

1. cplus-dem.c is way out of date. I have pointed it out
many times. I guess many files in libiberty haven't been
updated for a long time.

2. I was told to send my --demangler and --style patch to
the gcc mailing list:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-10n/msg00258.html

Nothing happened.

> for objcopy.  Sourceware has some catching up to do.
>
> The IBM 370 support is going in tonight.

Thanks. BTW, I heard IBM had their own patch for IBM 370. I am
not sure if they are compatible or not. We may wind up to
support to 2 ABIs, like ARM/ELF.

H.J.