OpenBSD: configure exits prematurely

Pavel Roskin pavel_roskin@geocities.com
Sun Oct 31 08:12:00 GMT 1999

Hello!

It seems that the list at bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org is now obsolete, so I'm
resending my message here.

I'm trying to compile binutils-991029 (binutils-991027 patched with diffs)
on OpenBSD 2.5

configure exits with the following message:

*** ld does not support target i386-unknown-openbsd2.5
*** see ld/configure.tgt for supported targets
Configure in /usr/local/src/binutils-991027/ld failed, exiting.

The worst thing is that `gas' is not configured. Actually, `gas' is the
only program I need to upgrade.

If I remember correctly, binulils-2.9.1.0.19 also failed in the `ld'
directory, but the `configure' script continued execution, so that I was
able to compile `gas'

I'm attaching a simple patch that enables OpenBSD support.
I don't know how correct it is, but the executables linked with the new
`ld' can be executed on OpenBSD. I don't have anything like iBCS
installed. I'm sure that the new `ld' is used. I remove all other copies
so that gcc refuses to link anything. Then I put the new `ld' in /usr/bin,
and it produces executables.

Anyway, I think that the top-level configure should continue if
ld/configure fails (as it used to be in binutils-2.9.1.0.x)

Pavel Roskin