Re: Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Paolo Bonzini wrote:

(3) Should the configure.in's be changed to use the 'modern' libtool initialization macro LT_INIT([shared static win32-dll]) -- which will need to be committed simultaneously or as an integral part of Steve's update; or should they instead continue to use the old 'AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL; AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' macros?

I prefer to do this one step at a time, because it applies to other libraries too.

OK. I'll regen the configure.in patch that way.

Note1: the conversion from old-style libtool initialization macros to new-style can be done on a case-by-case basis after Steve's current update is committed; it needn't be an "all-at-once" megapatch.

Note2: I mentioned that switching to the new macros would require making the newlib changes atomically with Steve's update of the toplevel libtool.m4&friends. This is a red herring; _LT_DECL_SED is /also/ only provided by the new .m4 files. So we need to make the newlib and toplevel changes atomically, regardless of whether the newlib configure.in's use old-style libtool initialization macros or new-style.

(4) Once these questions are answered: Steve, do you want to 'absorb' this patch into your update, so it can be committed atomically?

This would be best. Steve, please post your patch again in reply to this message (I've added back binutils, gdb, and gcc mailing lists) and I'll ok it.

This ^^^ looks like Paolo's answer to question (1) from
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/newlib/2007/msg00542.html
is yes. I still need an answer to (2), probably from Jeff, and then I'll redo my whole 10-step procedure and retest tonight.

Once that's done, I'll send Steve the *entire* set of changes (as produced mechanically by the scripts I posted earlier
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/newlib/2007/msg00533.html)
along with ChangeLog entries so he can 'absorb' it.

--
Chuck