Re: Wide character support?

Beman Dawes wrote:
I'd like to at least experiment with wide character stuff, so if you send me what you've already accomplished, I'll give it a try.

Beman,

Here I've attached a diff. Apply it against newlib snapshot of date "2004-04-26 21:00:00"
(cvs -d ":pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/src" -z9 co -D "2004-04-26 21:00:00" newlib)

You'll have a working version of my old Newlib. You'll find there locale(), wc<->mb and the other stuff.

Please, bear in mind that all the libc/iconv/* stuff was later contributed and is currently in Newlib CVS, and is *more up-to-date* there.

So, IMO, the sanest way is to download the Newlib CVS head snapshot and then port my stuff file-by-file, peering the diff I've sent.

It's worth mentioning that scanf/printf and brethren were substantially changed since 2004-04-26, so you'll probably need to to carefully merge my changes with the Newlib CVS head.

I've also attached the tests. They were supposed to go to Newlib testsuit, but they didn't, since I changed by employer and nobody cared about completing that. The tests may be helpful for your - you'll see what worked and what was implemented. All the tests passed.

And, last but but not least, I've CCed the mail to Alexander Stepanov from SoftmineCorp. My work was actually done for SoftmineCorp. Alexander probably has newer version of my stuff + their new stuff. I hope he'll contribute that late or soon. Yo may contact with him I think, he is a very open person.

Ooops....
The lats news: just before I clicked the "send" button, Alexander has written me that they are ready to start contribution of what they have. So, you probably should wait some time and see what happens. :-)

P.S. I'm too busy to rewrite the letter. I won't attach the files so far, will see what Alexander says.

Cheers,
Artem.

--
Best Regards,