Re: long double redirects and dynamic loader behavior

On 2/24/20 3:10 PM, Paul E Murphy wrote:
> Tulio mentioned that he and Carlos discussed this topic during
> Cauldron last year.
>
> As far as I understand it, dlopen becomes problematic when loading
> code compiled against an unknown long double ABI.  My understanding
> is the gnu-attribute exists to help catch those cases at link time.

Correct GNU Object attributes can be used for link time.

> I am unsure how, or if it does anything to assist dynamically loaded
> libraries.

There is. We use it for Intel CET. It is the Note GNU Property section.

Static link time --- GNU Object attributes.
Dyanmic link time --- Note GNU Properties.

> dlsym is more tricky.  The redirects obfuscate the naming of many
> common symbols.  I.e dlsym(...,"printf") might give you something
> which almost works, but is broken.

If dlopen denies you the ability to load an ABI-incompatible library
then we should be OK?

> What is the current thinking regarding the behavior of these features
> when redirects are used?

Carlos.