Re: Language code changes over time: zh_CN -> zh_Hans

Jean-Baptiste Holcroft <jean-baptiste@holcroft.fr> さんはかきました:

> Hi,
>
> the Fedora community is migrating to the Weblate translation platform.
> This translation platform uses zh_Hans, zh_Hant, zh_Hant_HK by
> default, instead of zh_CN, zh_TW and zh_HK.

Does it have to use these?

This is also weblate:

https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-network/#languages
https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/zh_CN/yast-network/
https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/zh_TW/yast-network/

And it uses zh_CN and zh_TW. So that seems possible with weblate.

I think it would be easier to use zh_CN, zh_TW, zh_SG, zh_HK
in weblate instead changing glibc to accept zh_Hans_CN etc.

If you look into the folders /usr/share/locale/zh_TW and
/usr/share/locale/zh_HK on a linux system, you will find that there are
many translations there.  1020 .mo files in
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/ on my Fedora 30 and 977 .mo files
in /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES.  And no translations at all in
/usr/share/locale/zh_Hans_CN/LC_MESSAGES/ and
/usr/share/locale/zh_Hant_TW/LC_MESSAGES/. Although these directories
exist, they are empty. So switching to zh_Hans_CN would be quite
a lot of effort:

- changing glibc to accept zh_Hans_CN.UTF-8 (Not sure whether that  is
  even possible)
- Changing all these packages with the translations.

It might be possible to change gettext: If the locale is zh_CN.UTF-8,
it could look in the zh_CN folder as it does not and if no .mo file
is found there, it could try zh_Hans_CN as well.
But that is also not an easy change.

I think using zh_CN and zh_TW in weblate is easiest and
looking at the above weblate site used by openSUSE, it seems possible.

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。