This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Language code changes over time: zh_CN -> zh_Hans
- From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Jean-Baptiste Holcroft <jean-baptiste at holcroft dot fr>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, libc-locales at sourceware dot org, Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak at lingonborough dot com>, Mike Fabian <mfabian at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:53:02 -0400
- Subject: Re: Language code changes over time: zh_CN -> zh_Hans
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 10/10/19 11:22 AM, Jean-Baptiste Holcroft wrote:
> What is the support status of these new language codes in Glibc?
The W3C reference says to use zh-Hans and zh-Hant, which follow the BCP47 RFC.
So glibc would need to add aliases for zh-Hans and zh-Hant.
We don't currently have those aliases, but could add them.
> If not supported, can we imagine to have backward compatibility while
> upstream projects migrate to the new language code? I assume these
> are not the only language code renaming, what policy do you suggest
> concerning these?
We should get the work done upstream and backport.
Mike, Rafal, Any opinions? This just seems like a locale.alias addition?
Is there a wider set of automatic aliases we need to add to conform to BCP47
with the system APIs?