Re: Status of build bots?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:

> I have to admit that I have not been able to make any sense whatsoever
> of the buildbot output.  Is this really something from which regular
> glibc contributors derive value?  If not, why are we doing it?  Joseph's
> build-only tester is much more useful to me, even though it provides so
> little diagnostic output.

I think the point of this discussion is to make it something from which we
can derive value.  Which I think means:

* The normal, expected state is clean, so failures indicate regressions.

* We can readily see exactly what regressions there are at any time, and
which are new versus old regressions.

* Results get reported to libc-testresults, and someone with access to
each bot monitors its results and raises issues on the mailing list / in
Bugzilla as necessary.  (That someone should probably also e.g. do routine
libm-test-ulps updates for new tests themselves, when something routine
like that allows them to restore results to clean status on a given
architecture.)

Other things, such as automatically informing the author of a patch
causing a regression without needing manual action to do that, or
providing a way for a contributor to have their uncommitted patch tested
on multiple systems, or covering lots more architectures, are nice to
have, but not necessary for the bots to be useful.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com