Re: Status of build bots?

On 8/19/19 4:53 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 16:49 -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> The buildbots look red across the board.
>>
>> Do we know what's up with them?
>>
>> http://glibc-buildbot.reserved-bit.com/waterfall
>>
>> Do we have an "ownership" page on the wiki so I can
>> reach out and offer support in some way to the owners
>> of that hardware?
>
> The s390x worker had a crash yesterday and we lost some config.
> It shouldn't be hard to put it back. But it isn't clear anybody is
> actually looking at or checking the results (they have been red for
> months).
>
> The s390x worker is somewhat overloaded, so if the glibc project isn't
> actually using the buildbot results we could opt for letting other
> projects use the resources instead.

We really need functioning build bots for all major targets:

* x86_64 / i686
* aarch64 / arm
* s390x / s390
* ppc32 / ppc64 / ppc64le

It would be great if we got s390x backup and running.

In the meantime we need to cleanup the results and move
from "purely informative" to "an active part of our process"
and assigning maintainership to the various build bots in
case one fails, along with turning on nag mails for the user
that broke the bot, and then using that to discuss fixes.

We should take that fundamental next step so that the build
bots are really useful at catching issues across distros and
machines (just like build-many-glibcs catches other kinds of
problems).

I've added a GNU Cauldron glibc BoF topic for this.

Carlos.