Re: Automating the maintenance of the ChangeLog file

Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> writes:

> * Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho:
>
>> Git also supports scissors (from git-mailinfo(1)):
>>
>>        --scissors
>>            Remove everything in body before a scissors line. A line
>>            that mainly consists of scissors (either ">8" or "8<") and
>>            perforation (dash "-") marks is called a scissors line, and
>>            is used to request the reader to cut the message at that
>>            line. If such a line appears in the body of the message
>>            before the patch, everything before it (including the
>>            scissors line itself) is ignored when this option is used.
>>
>>            This is useful if you want to begin your message in a
>>            discussion thread with comments and suggestions on the
>>            message you are responding to, and to conclude it with a
>>            patch submission, separating the discussion and the
>>            beginning of the proposed commit log message with a scissors line.
>>
>>            This can be enabled by default with the configuration
>>            option mailinfo.scissors.
>>
>> git am also supports this.
>
> Does our Patchwork instance support this?

Here is an example: https://patchwork.sourceware.org/patch/29853/

It doesn't highlight the relevant parts, but it does remove the comments when
generating a patch.

> Are there Gnus/mutt extensions to highlight the relevant parts of a patch
> submission?

I don't think so.  Neither does notmuch.
The scissor area is treated as the commit message.

> If we want to generate ChangeLogs from commit message contents, I think we
> need to increase the quality of commit messages.

Agreed.

--
Tulio Magno