Re: Automating the maintenance of the ChangeLog file

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:29 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> * Zack Weinberg:
> > Specifically, I propose:  Effective immediately, project policy
> > requires the Git commit message for each commit to end with the full
> > text of a traditional ChangeLog entry for that commit.
>
> How can I see what is part of the proposed commit (message) and what is
> not during patch review?

If we take `git format-patch` as a baseline, that means the subject
line is the first line of the commit message, and everything in the
email body up to the first line of the actual diff is the commit
message. But sometimes one wants to say things in the email that
aren't going to go into the commit message.  I don't have a good
suggestion for how to handle that, but if we came up with a convention
for separating the commit message from additional notes to reviewers,
I don't think it would be a problem getting everyone to follow it.

zw