This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Proposal: Slow dynamic TLS for internal glibc use
- From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:49:22 -0300
- Subject: Re: Proposal: Slow dynamic TLS for internal glibc use
- References: <email@example.com>
On 23/10/2018 09:18, Florian Weimer wrote:
> We have a lot of legacy interfaces which are not thread-safe: strtok,
> many, many NSS functions such as gethostbyname, wide character functions
> when invoked with a NULL state parameter, strerror, getpass, rpmatch,
> localtime and so on.
> Currently, most of these functions use global variables which take up
> space in .bss. This introduces overhead even if they are never used,
> and these functions are of course not thread-safe.
Do we have any numbers of the overhead we are taking in consideration