Re: V8 test-in-container patch

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On 08/24/2018 10:52 PM, Jason Duerstock wrote:
> > Apologies if I am asking in the wrong place, but what is involved in
> > removing ia64's dependency on libunwind?
>
> This needs to be discussed with the ia64 gcc maintainer (Jim Wilson?)
> on the gcc mailing list.
>
> Most architectures provide an unwinder in libgcc without any external
> dependencies.
>
> Likely what's involved is adding an unwinder to libgcc which works for
> ia64 and doesn't depend on any external library.

That's the configuration we use for building GCC for ia64 in
build-many-glibcs.py: the first (bootstrap) GCC is configured with
--with-system-libunwind (meaning GCC doesn't try to build libunwind
because that doesn't work before libc is built), but the second GCC is
configured without that option (meaning GCC builds and installs its own
libunwind).

Maybe the conventional approach used by distributions for ia64 is/was to
use --with-system-libunwind always, with a separately built libunwind, but
you *can* build libunwind from libgcc simply by not passing
--with-system-libunwind.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com