This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2] malloc: Remove malloc hooks (Bug 23328)
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:59:26 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] malloc: Remove malloc hooks (Bug 23328)
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Should we install libmalloc-extras.so under that name?
> Or should it be libmalloc-extras.so.0 (soname) without a libmalloc-extras.so
> symbolic link, to discourage new applications from linking against it, so
> making it more obvious that this is intended for backwards compatibility with
> old applications?
I don't think it's something to discourage applications from linking
against. Among other things, it's for any use of mtrace, which is useful
for both new and old applications as a light-weight memory checker for
uses similar to those in glibc's own testsuite.
Joseph S. Myers