Re: Updating "contribution Checklist" to recommend git format-patch.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> We should not require people to use git-show-gnu scripts, and
> all developers should have the Changelog merge helper to make
> it easy to commit such patches.

I don't think expecting people to have special repository merge setup is
any better than saying ChangeLog entries should, when a patch is
submitted, be included in the submitted commit message but not the
submitted diffs.

I think the way to eliminate ChangeLog issues for glibc patch submissions
and commits is for someone to implement the program RMS wants to list
entities changed by a git commit (including in particular the case where
the funcname names are within the diff hunk and so the name in the hunk
header is missing or is that of the previous function), so that the GNU
Coding Standards can change to allow not using ChangeLog files and using
commit messages that are not suitable for generating ChangeLog files
because they do not use ChangeLog format and do not describe what changed
in individual named entities unless that's a useful part of explanation
for the particular commit, and then for glibc to choose to adopt the
option of stopping using ChangeLog files and ChangeLog-style commit
messages.

(If such changes to the GNU Coding Standards still require a ChangeLog
file in release tarballs listing changes but not divided up by named
entities as in the present ChangeLog format, I expect we'd put the output
of "git log --stat" for a relevant commit range in the ChangeLog file just
before making the release tag.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com