Re: BZ 20822 :powerpc: race condition in __lll_unlock_elision

On 11/22/2016 02:45 PM, Torvald Riegel wrote:

Lock elision relies on this kind of mixed access.  While it would be
nice to have a common formal model for the various HTMs out there from
the perspective of a C11/C++11 memory model setting, I don't think it's
a big problem right now that we don't (AFAIK) have such a formal model.
Lock elision should be well understood, so I'm not worried about any
surprises regarding this use case.

You are the expert. I'm just surprised we embrace a wild-west approach to P&C again, while trying to convince others to argue from the definitions instead based on gut feeling.

That being said, I'm don't have a strong opinion regarding the style to use in this case.

Thanks,
Florian