This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC] Update minimum make version to 3.81
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>
- Cc: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>, "Paul E. Murphy" <murphyp at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, "libc-alpha at sourceware dot org" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 23:25:10 +0000
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Update minimum make version to 3.81
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <9be74649-8a90-1023-df39-a319b6d85b74 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com> <20160610222744 dot B09AB2C39F7 at topped-with-meat dot com> <20160610231050 dot GF4053 at vapier dot lan>
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2016 15:27, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > eval is a pretty horrible feature and I'd probably object to introducing
> > any uses of it into libc's makefiles. We already have lots of things that
> > might have been done that way, but are instead done with generated makefiles.
> while i agree, i still think we should raise the min make ver.
> practically speaking, no one is testing 3.79 or 3.80.
> i wouldn't mind 3.82 myself -- that's 2010. our gcc & binutils
> requirements are more recent than that.
It took a long time for GNU/Linux distributors to move on from 3.81. For
example, Ubuntu 14.04 uses 3.81.
Joseph S. Myers