This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Alternative libio vtable hardening approach
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Szabolcs Nagy <szabolcs dot nagy at arm dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Kees Cook <keescook at chromium dot org>, Yunlian Jiang <yunlian at google dot com>
- Cc: nd at arm dot com
- Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 20:16:24 +0200
- Subject: Re: Alternative libio vtable hardening approach
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <b34105f2-adcb-9347-73c0-43079729c418 at redhat dot com> <574F2488 dot 7060307 at arm dot com>
On 06/01/2016 08:08 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
On 31/05/16 14:07, Florian Weimer wrote:
The basic idea is to put all libc vtables into a single array, and then check whether the vtable pointer is
within that array.
does this mean that static linking anything with
stdio will include all the code referenced from
or was that already the case?
It was mostly the case already. There are only small savings to be had,
it seems. I will post numbers along with a real patch proposal.
I have to use weak references anyway to avoid linknamespace issues, and
we can add more if the current approach pulls in too much additional code.