Re: Consensus: Locale format may change from release to release?

On 24 Oct 2015 11:08, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:
> > so this direction seems to miss an edge case: static binaries.  if locale
> > data is incompatible, and we abort when trying to load incompatible data,
> > then static binaries cannot safely use any locale functions.
>
> It's in the same class as the nss interface: you must have the matching
> dynamic libraries installed.

not really:
(1) if you install the nss dynamic libs, the static app works
(2) there are options to enable static nss libs and thus bypass it

there is no recourse with locale files because you can't control
the path to them nor can you have parallel versions installed
-mike