This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] localedef: Add --localedir and --archive-file options (Bug 19130)
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:28:29 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] localedef: Add --localedir and --archive-file options (Bug 19130)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <561F230E dot 5050801 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1510151147210 dot 9529 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On 10/15/2015 07:50 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> (2) Add a `--localedir=PATH` option per BZ #19130.
> It's possible this option name may be confusing. Cf. bug 14259 discussing
> the meaning of the configure --localedir option. (I think that bug is
> only a documentation issue - install.texi needs to document exactly what
> the configure option means, without any change to what that option does.)
It is my opinion that Andreas Schwab was wrong in comment #7:
The location of the locale archive, and binary compiled locales is localedir.
The location of the gettext message catalogs is msgcatdir.
The only way to change the location of msgcatdir is to adjust datadir.
Therefore I think the option is correct, and I'll submitted a patch
to fix bug 14259.
> Do we want the localedef option to have a meaning completely different
> from that configure option, and so possibly add to that confusion?
No. Both options are and do mean the same thing. Unless someone can point
out something I did wrong.
> Also, a new feature like this should have its own NEWS entry, not just a
> number in the list of fixed bugs (even if by the time of the next release
> we have a system to generate a list with bug descriptions included).
Agreed. I will post v2 and add a NEWS entry.