This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Another GLIBC build error with GCC6
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: <sellcey at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: Another GLIBC build error with GCC6
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1437496279 dot 19674 dot 126 dot camel at ubuntu-sellcey> <1437507995 dot 19674 dot 136 dot camel at ubuntu-sellcey> <55AEA71B dot 2020405 at redhat dot com> <1437509796 dot 19674 dot 138 dot camel at ubuntu-sellcey> <55AEB7FF dot 1000405 at redhat dot com> <1437518197 dot 19674 dot 152 dot camel at ubuntu-sellcey>
In this case, the left shift doesn't even lose any bits, because the high
bit is already zero (and it's a constant, so the compiler knows that). In
fact, that's the whole point of the thing: to sign-extend the 31-bit value
to 32 bits. I don't think it should complain about 0x7fffffff << 1.