Re: fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64

On 12/23/2014 2:56 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
Are you building with -DNDEBUG?  That's the only way I can see these
variables being unused (set-but-not-used).  NDEBUG is definitely a broken
configuration for running the testsuite, as it means tests aren't checking
what they should if the verification uses assert - the warnings are
showing up a problem with your environment, not with glibc (see what
Roland said in
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-12/msg00589.html>).  And I'm
doubtful NDEBUG is a sensible configuration for building glibc itself
either; at least, it's not a well-tested one.

Thus, this patch seems wrong, and I'm dubious of the previous patch
without a clean consensus to support NDEBUG builds of glibc.

NDEBUG is added by default to RedHat/Fedora builds (other than prereleases).
This has been true since 2009; Andreas can perhaps comment on this, since the
changelog shows he enabled it.

--
Chris Metcalf, EZChip Semiconductor
http://www.ezchip.com