This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: RFC: Add tests for namespace for static linking
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:48:00 +0100
- Subject: Re: RFC: Add tests for namespace for static linking
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1411080147420 dot 16602 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <546393AA dot 9040705 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1411121721020 dot 23958 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On 11/12/2014 06:32 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
Why isn't there a generic, linker-based fix which reuses the tagging we have
for the dynamic linking case? Because we want to keep object file boundaries?
I don't see how you envisage such a fix would work.
Perhaps “ld -r --wrap” or “objcopy --redefine-sym”?
I assumed that this would be visible in the DSOs as well, but this does
not seem to be the case. So I guess it's just a matter of choosing
what's most convenient. If sprinkling the sources with “__” prefixes as
required is considered acceptable, I shouldn't complain about it.
Florian Weimer / Red Hat Product Security