This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Impact of removing VM_EXEC from brk area
- From: Ralf Baechle <ralf at linux-mips dot org>
- To: linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org, linux-mm at kvack dot org, linux-mips at linux-mips dot org, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:24:06 +0100
- Subject: Impact of removing VM_EXEC from brk area
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
A patch to remove VM_EXEC from VM_DATA_DEFAULT_FLAGS for MIPS has been
submitted to me with the primary motivation for this change being
some performance improvment. In other words, the patch would remove
execute permission from a process brk area. It's however unclear to
me how much software wreckage would result from such a change, even
if the execute permission for the stack area remains unchanged.
So, what would break?