This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 1/N] x86_64 vectorization support: vectorized math functions addition to Glibc
- From: Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>
- To: "Zamyatin, Igor" <igor dot zamyatin at intel dot com>
- Cc: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>, Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>, Matthew Fortune <Matthew dot Fortune at imgtec dot com>, Andrew Senkevich <andrew dot n dot senkevich at gmail dot com>, libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "Melik-Adamyan, Areg" <areg dot melik-adamyan at intel dot com>
- Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:43:21 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/N] x86_64 vectorization support: vectorized math functions addition to Glibc
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMXFM3t=ppndDUBzHzSus7xyuF5hTaLFZ5b273jD39NtddSvsw at mail dot gmail dot com> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1409101549490 dot 12853 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B0235320F09D65 at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <20140911210246 dot GN23797 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <87a9655rnu dot fsf at tassilo dot jf dot intel dot com> <20140912074251 dot GZ17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1409121700030 dot 1118 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <20140912170827 dot GE17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <0EFAB2BDD0F67E4FB6CCC8B9F87D756969B548CA at IRSMSX101 dot ger dot corp dot intel dot com>
> But this will not help in case of a binary compiled, say, for AVX512 target and launched on a system with glibc which contains vector versions up to AVX2, right?
You always need a glibc or newer than what you build with to run.
It's not different from any other new symbol in glibc.
Just shouldn't have newer subset glibcs that do not contain some
new symbols, but I don't think anyone is proposing that.