Re: Transition to C11 atomics and memory model

On 09/14/2014 08:34 PM, Torvald Riegel wrote:
I think we should transition to using the C11 memory model and atomics
instead of the current custom implementation.  There are two reasons for
this:

What's the quality of the C11 memory specification? The things I've seen so far do not inspire confidence, e.g.:

âThe value of an object visible to a thread T at a particular point is the initial value of the object, a value stored in the object by T, or a value stored in the object by another thread, according to the rules below.â (5.1.2.4/7, perhaps just an âatomicâ is missing somewhere.)

âUnlike memset, any call to the memset_s function shall be evaluated strictly according to the rules of the abstract machine as described in (5.1.2.3).â (K.3.7.4.1/4, if this means anything at all, it seems to require suspending all other threads in the program)