Re: Linux kernel version support policy

On 01/29/2014 01:11 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 02:46:44PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> * general policy (my suggestion is that we default to not supporting
>> kernel versions not maintained upstream, unless we believe in a particular
>> case that there are important distribution versions using those kernels
>> that make it desirable to support using them);
>
> I am in favour of such a policy as long as we can have a discussion
> before actually doing this, because it looks like our kernel support
> is older than most major distributions.
>
>> * moving to requiring 2.6.32, the oldest currently-maintained kernel
>> series, for glibc 2.20 (release due July 2014)?
>
> I think this should be OK.  I'll ask Carlos to pitch in too, to be
> sure that I haven't missed anything from the RHEL perspective.

I agree with Adam Conrad on the point that there has to be input from
the distributions before the new baseline is decided.

In our case we will always want RHEL X-1 to be able to run RHEL X
userspace in a chroot. That means that the baseline at the point we
create RHEL X must be < X-1's kernel.

I'm fine with requiring 2.6.32 for 2.20.

Cheers,
Carlos.