Re: Linux kernel version support policy

On Monday, January 27, 2014 23:02:43 Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> (and more generally, to review
> the conditionals that would be obsoleted by such a move to make sure the
> features that would be assumed to be available are in fact available in
> the chosen versions for relevant architectures).

i think any bump in min kernel version should be predicated upon this.  if
there's no significant code clean up by updating the min version, then we
shouldn't be throwing away support for them.

i still see people running 2.6.18 kernels today.  usually in server
environments like old RHEL 5 or OpenVZ or Xen instances.
-mike